return to homesponsored by truckee meadows water authority
newsgrades k-3grades 4-6grades 7-12teachershome






     • Responsible Water Use
     • Drought
     • Water on Earth
     • Water in Life


Drought
A drought occurs when a region recieves less rain and snow than usual over a period of time.

Have you ever been to Lake Tahoe? In Northern Nevada, we depend on Lake Tahoe for 85% of our drinking water. Water in Lake Tahoe comes from snow melt and rain in the Sierra Nevada Mountain Range. The remaining 15% of our drinking water is ground water.

Over the last few years, there has not been enough water to keep Lake Tahoe filled at its normal level. That means Northern Nevada is in a drought.

Since we are in a drought, we need make sure we are not being wasteful with our water. Learn ways in which you can conserve water in your own life by visiting the Water Conservation Facts page.

 


2010 TMWA Academy.      Thank you Southern Nevada Water Authority for some of the content on this site.